Friday, December 9, 2011

12 Tags of Christmas - Day 8

So here it is December 9, and I'm just putting up the tag from yesterday! Here's a link to Tim's Day 8 tag; and here is my tag:


This tag had a horrible time being born. I think I started it five different times before I got the background looking like I wanted it.

The first thing I did to the tag was to stamp the train and the plume coming out of the top of the train (I thought it looked like Christmas steam) in VersaMark and clear emboss them. Then I applied the distress ink (in Tim's 2011 holiday colors) to the tag with the inking tool as he shows on his blog. After the tag was inked, I put a piece of copy paper over the tag, took a hot craft iron, and ironed the tag. The embossing powder was transferred to the copy paper, but the uncolored image was still left on the tag.

Then I stamped in a random brown color some of the stamps from this Oxford Impressions Steampunk Works plate. The bottom trim of the tag was stamped on black cardstock with a stamp from this Oxford Impressions Steampunk Elements plate and embossed with "Rustique Tin Can" embossing powder. I also embossed the big gear in that embossing powder. The other gears were embossed in different metallic embossing powders. In fact, sometimes while the embossing powder was still hot, I would sprinkle on an entirely different embossing powder color. Crazy!

For the stopwatch, I stamped the watch from Artistic Outpost's The Outpost plate and embossed with gold ink and cut it out. Yes, I even cut out the insides with small sharp scissors. Then I stamped Santa Clause from Fancy Pants' Blissful Season stamp set onto cream colored paper and framed it with the stop watch. I just so happened to have a facet that fit the watch perfectly!

Cyndi

2 comments:

Shelly Hickox said...

Cyndi, I think this is my favorite one of yours so far! I love that you used the faux designer paper technique - it looks fantastic. Great job!!

Pat said...

Cyndi -

Of all the Christmas tags I saw this year, there were two that still, months later, stand out in my mind. Your train tag is one of those. I absolutely love it - enough that I went and ordered both the stamp sets you used so that I could recreate it and use it for my Christmas gift tags next year. Thank you so much for being so willing to share your creativity, and even more for sourcing the products you used! You are an AMAZING artist!