Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Challenges, Challenges


This card started as a response to a color challenge on Splitcoaststampers, to use Ruby Red, Baja Breeze, and Whisper White. I also wanted to play with some of the techniques in the Technique Junkies Newsletter.


Specifically, I wanted to know what could be done with the Bargello technique. I remember as a teenager doing some Bargello with yarn and plastic canvas, and I remembered that we did a lot of variations on the pattern.


I also got into a conversation today with the very talented Shelly Hickox about whether or not you could make your own alcohol ink out of . . . well, alcohol and ink. More about that later.


I just got this new Stampin' Up! set called Rustic Rooster. I would link it, but it's not even available yet except to the million and a half (intentional exaggeration) Stampin' Up! demonstrators out there. I thought this fine fellow would look good using the Clear Collage Technique, again from the Technique Junkies Newsletter. But I cheated. The rooster was colored with Ruby Red dye ink after it was covered with clear embossing powder and heated. "How did she do that?" you may ask your computer. "There's no way to get regular dye ink to stick to what amounts to a plastic surface! It will just bead up, smear all over the artwork, and wipe off! She's messing with the very laws of science and nature!!!!"


Woah! Settle down. It's okay; I just bent the laws of science and nature to suit my own purposes. As I hinted at earlier in the post, I added a little alcohol to the dye ink and painted it on with an empty water brush. It didn't bead up, and it didn't wipe off. It didn't even come off on the glass of my scanner (which is good because it would have been very hard to explain to my husband how the "cat" got red ink on the glass of the printer).


The other stamping was done on a sheet of acetate, because the Bargello, while very cool looking, is not a very smooth surface to stamp on. I put a little warm white acrylic paint on the backside of the acetate so that "Thinking of You" would show up against the background. It turned out to go pretty well with the Clear Collage part.


Cyndi

4 comments:

Shelly Hickox said...

You have been very busy! When did you have time to do this card? It looks like it took hours. It would take me hours to do that Bargello part anyway!

I love what you did with this - that is a really great stamp set.

So, you inked on top of the embossing? That sounds like a new technique!

Cyndi Watkins said...

Shelly, I totally made my own alcohol ink! I just don't know yet what applications I can use it with. But I will be trying them.

Cyndi

LG said...

i like this a lot minus the rooster

Michelle Murphy said...

of course you can makeyour own alcohol inks..all you need is 92%(i think is it, 90 something alcohol) and reinkers and have fun..love the card that bargello part looks hard, love the rooster