Wednesday, August 19, 2009

House of Dreams (and a Dream Job for Shelby)

Look at this house and tell me that's not the cutest house ever! You wouldn't believe it but the plain paper mache house sat in my stamp room for months without creating inspiration. Then one day I got out my light green metallic paint, and this lovely version was completed within days.

Every light green metalic painted house I've ever seen has had that exact same effect on me.

Hey Shelby! What do you think of the house now that it's done?

It's whimsical, alright. What's with the little red tiles?

Glad you asked. As everyone may know, I am totally addicted to the little pearl stickers and the nailhead stickers. Well, when I was at Archivers last weekend I found these mosaic tiles and fell in love with them. I bricked the "walk" around the house and the chimney.


What's going on here (see picture above)?


Here you can see the wisteria on the side of the house and the ornamental iron door. Actually that's not the best photo of the door because there's too much detail of the copper fireplace inside. The top picture shows the door better. It was created in a very complicated process using black wire and a wire jig. The green wire wisteria vine actually helps to hold the whole think together.

How did you make the wisteria?

With flower soft. The window treatment is just a little piece I embossed and cut out using Ten Seconds Studio's Big Daddy #4 mold.



Okay, here's the detail of the roof from the front. I embossed metal using Ten Seconds Studio's Kabuka #2 embossing plate and the trim is Dresden foil that I got from Rock Candy Studios.



This is the roof at the back of the house.



Look! I even did the inside of the house. Note the copper fireplace. When the roof is back on the house, there is a red tile brick chimney that fits on top of the fireplace, but since it's attached to the roof part of the house box, you can only see it when you have the roof on and you look through the windows.

Or the door?

Correct. I made some really cute baseboard and chair rail out of tiny strips of white chipboard. The floor is just a piece of caramel cardstock with lines and dots drawn on it and then distressed with ink.

I see lines in the floor, but I don't see any dots.

Well, in real life, I added two "nails" on either side of where the planks join together.

That's a lot of detail.

Well I don't want my imaginary floor to come up.

This house looks better than the room you gave me to live in. I don't get the ornamental iron door. What's it protecting? Are tiny men going to break in and steal the firewood? There's nothing in this house.

Which is why it looks a lot neater than your overcrowded room.

Onto another topic, I need you to teach me how to stamp because . . . drumroll please . . . I have a new job!

Woohooo!!! Shelby that's fabulous! What are you going to be doing?

You are going to be so jealous. I got a job at Archivers scrapbook store.

NO, YOU DID NOT! I am so freaking jealous!

They needed someone to help customers in the store and teach stamping classes.

You don't stamp, Shelby. Why would they hire you to teach stamping?

They asked me if I knew how to stamp and I said, "I have thousands of stamps at home, and believe me, they are well used." So anyway . . . could you teach me?

Until next time,

Cyndi and Shelby

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The iron door looks charming, but I don't think it'll work in a real house. I've never seen ornamental iron doors that are laden with too much colors and coils. Perhaps it would work in one color (brown's nice) and with less twirls? That would be more like most iron entry doors, which I would love to add in my garden. I'm gonna add that to my goals for next year. Good thing I know just the right company who fabricates iron doors just the way I like them.